Thursday 7 February 2013

Gainfully Employed

Modern jerry-rigging; my simple phone isn't set up for email, hence a picture of a picture.

From the look of the picture I claim to have become a chef, but no, this is simply the first lunch of which I partook at my new place of employment. And believe it or not, this is a school lunch. It's a far cry from the mass-produced, reconstituted, reheated fare on rectangular-shaped plates I was served as a child. This was delicious. And my children enjoyed it too.

I started work teaching English classes at my daughters' school--my first work out of home in nearly 8 years--and it's an ideal arrangement. I only teach a few hours a week, so I'm away from the baby mostly during nap time. It's just enough of an outing to curb the isolation, and I'm meeting lots of new people in an environment where I can communicate. Did I mention it's a French school? So it's helping to polish up my French.

And the children are adorable. Most of them already speak French and Georgian, but I meet other parents every day who easily speak four or five languages. Definitely encourages me to aspire to a couple additional languages myself. This position creates a triad of support I've been able to draw from here: The American community, my Church congregation, and now the parents, teachers, and friends at the School.

5 comments:

  1. Amber you amaze me! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this makes me happy! I'm so glad you found this opportunity to be a part of the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! - and I can't imagine anyone better to make good use of the opportunity. I am starting to worry you'll never come back, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, unless they start importing tortilla chips, fresh salsa, and Haagen Dazs, I could never stay permanently ;)

      Delete
  4. What a great opportunity. How neat that you get to be involved with the kids and to be more fully immersed in the culture.

    ReplyDelete

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog