Wednesday 20 March 2013

Entropy


We went for a walking tour of Old Tbilisi, some parts older than others, and when we came to a vacant lot our guide pointed out that there had been a house here that was recently torn down because it was in "poor condition". Across the street from the lot was this beauty.



And we paused to reflect on the definition of "poor condition". As there are families still living in it, it must not yet have been deemed "poor" enough.

All of the remaining, intact, ancient churches we've seen have their foundations built right down to the bedrock, but for some reason they don't seem to do the same for most of the houses. And since this is earthquake country, there are dire consequences. Not sure why the short-sighted workmanship, but it does make for some very interesting, slowly crumbling buildings.

I remember when, in high school science, I first learned about entropy. A part of me has lived in utter terror ever since. When I see this kind of stunning decay, I can almost feel the inevitable degradation of the universe into disorder. In discussing it with my husband, he offhandedly proposed that that is precisely why there must be a spiritual realm.

And a light illuminated in my mind. Yes! It makes sense to me that there must be balance in the universe--yin and yang--of light and dark, infinite and infinitesimal. The unseen spiritual realm of never-ending life in balance with the ever-decaying physical dimension. For the first time in 20 years, my terror was quieted.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, it would be interesting to see what the poor condition house looked like, because

    ReplyDelete
  2. This house is in terrible condition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to see some American entropy, visit our farm. The old 1890 silo has signs of advancing disorder as do the stone foundation walls in our barn. When I see decay and entropy in man-made structures it always makes me wonder what they looked like new and how the builders were so proud of what they had created. I think the builders of the entropy that I own would be proud to know that even in its decay, it has survived this long and is still in some use. Kids running through the entropic structures help add a little new life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Entropy would be a good name for a coffee table pictorial book of run down man made structures. There is a project for you on your tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, there is ample material. Now that's an idea . . .

      Delete
  5. Heck, it still has windows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber-- I am just seeing your blog for the first time. Instead of leaving a bajillion comments I am just going to leave one. It looks like you guys have had quite a fun adventure so far. I love seeing all the pictures of the housing, food etc. Welcome back to Primary too :)Couldn't stay away for long. I bet the Georgians love you guys. Hope life is going well for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very fascinating thought - and comforting for me as well!
    There is an antique shop out in Frederick, MD that has a large stack of doors for sale that look almost exactly like the one in your pictures. Beautiful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your hubby's off=hand comment, those kinds of things must make you realize you married a smart smart man! :) That is a really neat, comforting thing to think about, it is disconcerting to think about how nothing in our world really lasts for very long, but we do have the eternal things that do, how nice! love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sometimes I think those offhand comments are good for our marriage ;)

      Delete

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog