Wednesday 23 January 2013

Creature comforts

After living out of our suitcases for a month, the first shipment of our things arrived and it was like Christmas morning. It's a small shipment meant to hold us over for the next 2-3 months (let's hope it's not really that long) until the rest arrives by boat.

They supply us with what they call a "welcome kit" when we arrive, which has a number of semi-decent and other nearly disposable items to use temporarily. After a few weeks, I'm ready to kick the kit to the curb. Call me materialistic or what you will, but it's a good feeling to see your stuff again. Here are a few of my current favorite things:

My battery-powered clocks. I packed them all. It's a challenge to adjust to a new time zone when you never know what time it is.


My favorite kitchen utensils, especially the garlic press (oh! the garlic press!) and the can opener.
Storage bins. We packed some things in these bins and now can use them for sorting laundry. No more piles of clothes on the floor.

Shoes! I only packed 2 pairs, so I am relishing the variety.

Little guy's high chair. We've been feeding him scraps from the table like a puppy, so even he was happy to see this.

My bathrobe. Hubby got his too. Feels like home.

The most highly anticipated item by far was my comforter and pillows. The rock-hard mattress, pancake pillows, and single-layer felt blanket they provided left me almost crying every night for something soft.

Today I offer no insight into life in Georgia, but with the arrival of these things I feel a little closer to calling Georgia home.

2 comments:

  1. I posted a comment last night but I think it booted me when I had to log in with my google account, unless I'm being censored.... Anyway, Amber, you will adjust just fine and your spartan beginnings will be a distant memory when it comes time for you guys to leave Georgia. Actually, I am a bit jealous of your familys adventure but I do understand (having been bounced around as a family with only transient amenities) that it can get frustrating. Tell Nate that I have been listening to a lot of Rush on pandora lately, lots of fun Larson house memories. I have been reading a lot about Georgia online since you guys visited there, the caucasus sound neat, I'm sure that Nate could even take you guys camping somewhere cool in one of the parks up there. If you make it to mt Elbrus, turn back, you have gone too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, message received. We are definitely planning on doing some camping while here. Does Jenny camp too? That would be fun to do a joint-family excursion some time in the future. We've never taken the kiddos to Mt. Rushmore, or there's always the North Shore . . .

      Delete

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog