Tuesday 12 July 2016

Taylors Falls


We have a long family history with Taylors Falls on the St. Croix River. My great great grandfather came to MN in 1878 to teach at settlements located along the river and settled himself nearby in Lindstrom, MN. His daughter, my great grandmother, tells a story that one night while walking from Taylors Falls to Lindstrom, her father was trailed by a large cougar. My grandfather recalls riding a sled to school in wintertime in Taylors Falls during the Depression, and walking it back uphill at the end of each day. My father camped, hiked, and motorcycled all through the area. 

As a child I remember visiting regularly to explore the huge potholes with my cousins. In high school I came with carloads of friends to go cliff jumping into the river, which is now illegal. This summer I took my own children to Taylors Falls to go rock climbing.






My brother is an experienced climber and he coached my girls, who were in the club d'escalade at school this year and chomping at the bit to climb.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog