Saturday 20 April 2013

Lisi Lake


Some love the ocean: vast foreign shores, unfathomable depths, moody blue changeability, endless horizons . . . but not me. I'm from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, and I love lakes.
 

Unfortunately Georgia doesn't have any naturally occurring lakes, but they have enough reservoirs around to make a lake-sick soul like me feel at home. We found one such reservoir, which they call Lisi Lake, very near to our home.


It has a picnic area, decent beach, and paved pathway on one side; and if you're adventurous (like hubby, above), there's a rough muddy trail encircling the entire lake that's passable for running.


I'm sure I'll reveal deep psychological truths about myself, but I expressly dislike all those things about oceans. I prefer a knowable distant shore, the outline of land and trees inversely manifested, the familiarity of seasonal changes (the freeze, the thaw), and fathomable depths.


I never tire of the familiar sparkle of sunset on rippling water in contrast to the dark shadows that only a near shore can effect.



And I find utter peace in the glassy tranquil surface so common on a windless evening.

I've tried to awaken in myself a similar reverence for the salty sea, but to no avail. Let the coastal dwellers have their oceans views and roaring waves, I'll take my land-locked rounds of calm fresh water. Having grown up with a lake across the street and summer cabin on a lakeshore property, how could I possibly do otherwise?

7 comments:

  1. Love your art shots. Look like a beautiful lake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the exact same way about lakes vs ocean. I love lakes. I'm glad you have that reservoir close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would! It's a family trait. Love that lake by your house too, best free therapy around.

      Delete
  3. I keep reading this blog entry over and over. Its poetic flow and perceptive insights penetrate my usual preoccupied bustle and give me pause...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got myself caught up on your postings. It all looks so interesting and fun, I would love to come and visit with Jenny but I doubt I will be able to overcome my fear of leaving the country and traveling unarmed. I love the pictures of your mountain trip, I so badly want to see the Pamirs and even go to Dushanbe but again, my phobia... You all look happy and healthy, good to see!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog