Monday 25 March 2013

Spring

It has been a dismal winter. As one who hails from northern lands, I've always been of the camp that prefers snow in winter--as long as it's cold anyway--in lieu of the dreary grey-brown alternative. Here in Georgia it's all grey buildings, grey sidewalks, and grey skies. The wind howls fiercely, like a living being, and rattles the heavy iron bars on my windows. But we try to focus on the positive.


We've started to see green grass, and a few flowering bulbs give us hope. Other than that spring seems to be taking it's time.


Every morning I find myself checking the tightly wrapped leaf buds, willing them to open. I don't think I've ever been so anxious for spring to bloom.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, your daughter is beautiful!

    I planted at least 8 dozen seeds in egg cartons to will Spring into coming. It's slow here, too. The only green I've seen around my neighborhood is tiny sprouts in my laundry room which I hover around as if they need my eyes to exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that the Georgians seem particularly fond of house plants in window sills. I think they're on to something, and I'll have to take the lesson to heart next year.

      Delete
    2. if you want me to mail any particular seeds that you can't get there, I'd be happy to comply! Let me know.

      Delete
  2. I see some fairy-dusting of freckles across that beautiful face..

    ReplyDelete

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog