Saturday 17 November 2012

Home sweet home

Today I had an open house of sorts to find a renter for our home while we are gone. It was preceded by countless hours of work and preparation. I am now left with two distinct feelings: first, elation that it's finally over; second, remorse that, of all the applicants who desire to live here, I have to turn away all but one. I was so unexpectedly moved by their stories, by their hope of finding a fresh start, and by their seeking something that this house seems to offer them. It makes me realize that, with everything we've been through over 7 years of life here--with all the cracks, flakes, and dust; all the weeds, ants, and bats; all the hot, cold, and damp; all the creaks, drafts, and uneven edges; all the blood, sweat, and tears--I love this place. I love the life we've lived here, and I will leave a part of my heart here.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog