Friday 1 May 2015

Provence, France


Out of a trio of possibilities, I chose to study French when I was 13 years old. I took to it quickly and kept at it till college where I burned out after freshman year. Later I was called to serve a mission for my church in Bordeaux, France, so I recommitted. Afterwards I returned to college, took a few courses, and called it quits again. But it keeps coming back. Every few seasons I find myself in a situation where I'm using it again, and Tbilisi has been an intense season. 

We chose to enroll our girls in the French school, and I chose to work there for the duration of our time in Georgia. With my children now speaking fluent French as well, I realize: I'm in it for the long haul. No more luxury of burning out or quitting, this French thing will be in my life now. Forever. 

And, with nothing close to resolve, I feel ambivalence toward the language and everything connected to it. 

This, oddly, is what I discovered on our family's long-anticipated trip to France.

In her third year of French education, well nigh time to have a go.



We tried to fit in.


Then settled on the tourist thing, 


which seemed to fit us better.


We rented a dreamy abode, which immediately inspired everyone to wax artistic.


Eldest daughter's rendering of father as artist.


And we settled in to our place,


by the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog