Sunday 23 December 2012

sorting spools and such

As our final days draw near we do a lot of sorting. While I work, my little one scours his eye level for things to unhinge at a pace that rivals my rate of organization. This week, to his delight, he discovered spools of thread.

When my paternal grandma (can't imagine calling her grandmother) passed away a number of years ago I inherited one of three sewing kits. Now when I say "kit", what I mean is a generously-sized three-tiered tackle box with every compartment filled to the brim. I guess she did a lot of sewing, but that was before my time. In any case, she was famously organized and along with the kit I also got this bin of spools. I've added to it over the years, but other than that it has remained unmolested until this week when my little guy emptied it's contents on the floor. As I was gathering and rewinding the thread I saw, for the first time, something on the bottom of the bin that Grandma had written years ago. In bold black permanent marker in all caps it said, "PANTY HOSE". Anyone who knew Grandma knows this is so classic, and I've been chuckling to myself about it ever since.

I love that I'll be bringing this little piece of my past to our new life abroad. Life is both a physical and emotional journey, and while I'm doing everything I can to be physically ready, the emotional part is harder to manage. I'm so grateful for these little gems of experience along the way that enable me to process and proceed in this bittersweet transition.

1 comment:

Moscow Metro

Sunday morning, roads closed, headed to church on the Metro. All the big in-town events seem to happen on Sundays--marathons, parades a...

Search This Blog